Total Pageviews

Monday 14 May 2012

Day 3

Climbing time
As we weren't on duty we had a cooked breakfast which was really morale boosting we set off about 40 minutes behind schedule.  
Getting to the site was almost a climb in itself the path was so steep but when we got there the rock face looked great to climb after doing a figure of 8 and a stopping knot ourselves they were checked and we were able to start climbing it was quite challenging but my pace was consistent I was asked a few times to slow down by the b-layers I almost made it to the top but there were no cracks left to climb on, then the hard part ... Absailing back down.  It was mentally challenging knowing that I had no control of getting down and I was high up, I just gritted my teeth held the knots tightly and decended, the time went by slowly which was really bad given the situation but finally I made it down in time to see a c130 plane fly through the valley it was HUGE! Then the rain came. So after b-laying and sub b-laying the rest of my group we moved further up to another part of the rock face and I started to climb in the wet.  I exerted myself to the maximum as I knew the rain wasn't going to stop and soon we would hqve to end ex.  I was up like a rocket just concentrating in the next crack or hole I even jumped just to get to the next part even one of the volunteers shouted I wouldn't be able to do this at this pace even in the dry, if anything this spurred me on and I put everything I had left into the last jump reached up and touched the top.  Then there was the slow decent again, if anything this was worse than the first as there were more rocks that looked deadly if you fell on them.  But after time went by even slower again I reached the bottom panic over and felt I big wave of achievement.  When I got back it was time to Do duties while the other group went to an indoor climbing wall.  We had a full inspection later that night as some people were being immature but we passed that and finally that night I got some decent sleep my trick was sticking my headphones in to block out people's talking throughout the night.







No comments:

Post a Comment